This is a small patch release containing a new material system. It has better support for transparency and allows for custom materials to be added easily by defining them in text files rather than in code. All previous material types have been built with the new material system and two new material types were added. There are also bug fixes and other minor improvements.
You can download here: https://github.com/jahshaka/VR/releases/tag/v0.3.1-alpha
This is the third public release of Jahshaka VR and as our IrisGL engine is stabilizing we are now starting to add core features and functionality. We have also started to clean up the UI as we prepare for proper animation support in our next release.
You can download the release from our GitHub here
New to this release are:
Editor and UI updates:
- The look and feel of the ui has been improved
- The ui scales properly with respect to the screen’s pixel density
- Added reset button for object transformations
- Added new skybox presets
- Mesh’s source is now shown in the Properties widget
- Added another material type that supports reflections and refractions
- Moved transformation, camera and vr buttons into a toolbar
- Added Plane object
- Added particle system
- Switched skies to use cubemaps instead of equirectangular textures
- Empty SceneNodes are supported
- Two-sided rendering for meshes is now supported
- Added Support for oculus touch
- You can now move around in vr mode using the left touch controller or the arrow keys on the keyboard
- You can grab and move objects around using the left touch controller
- The size of the viewer can be scaled
- The viewer can be animated and parented to other objects
- Engine switched to VR mode automatically when the headset is mounted
- Added OSX support
- Added better support for high dpi displays
We are now hard at work on the 4th release, please fork our GitHub and join the team!
The Jahshaka Team
It’s been a little over three months since our first alpha release. Since then we’ve made significant changed to JahshakaVR. It almost feels brand new. We improved the user interface, added a new rendering engine (IrisGL) and, finally, added VR rendering (Only Oculus HMDs supported at the moment). JahshakaVR now builds on both Windows and Linux, and a fix for OsX will be out shortly so it will be truly cross platform. read more…
We have been hard at work on our next alpha release. Since Qt3D turned out to be unusable we have been busy building out our own 3D engine and have been making great progress. Full 3D scene support along with lighting and texturing as well as the loading of model and scene files has been implemented, though we still have a way to go. read more…
So we decided to remove Qt3D and take on the mammoth task of building our own in-house engine. Our short-term goal is to have a forward renderer with basic Lamberian and Phong shading, shadow mapping and a few post-processing effects. It’s a small step towards our big dream of having a deferred rendering engine with physically based shading and gorgeous post-processing framework rivaling Yebis.
This Incredible Short Film Looks at the Frightening Potential of Virtual Reality. Get a dark look at the possible implications of virtual reality, and what happens when the lines between reality and fiction begin to blur.
We have finally managed to release the alpha version of the Jahshaka VR authoring toolkit under the GPL and wanted to invite people to jump in, look at the code and help out. We have been working on it for 6 months now and its starting to stabilize.
Trying to focus in on the UI a bit – here are some concepts. Will be a bit confusing at first but our goal is to move it all into VR anyway so hope its not too technical at this point.
We are pleased to say that we have been making great progress with the development of the new Jahshaka VR platform which is being rebuilt from the ground up with virtual reality as its core offering. Any one will be able to use it to easily craft beautiful worlds and share them across multiple platforms; from linux, windows and mac to mobile devices and the web.
So after many years we have finally started development of Jahshaka VR. Jahshaka VR will be a complete VR authoring toolkit made for digital artists, with a focus on in-vr authoring inspired by the original jahshaka application framework.